Do not listen to anyone's advice
This title may be misleading. Let’s summarize when you should listen and when you should not listen to others’ advice.
Listen to an advice if:
- The person giving it to you clearly does it out of goodwill and with the intention to help
- When you feel the person is right, fully or partly
- If the person is way better and much more experienced than you are
- If you feel the advice is not misleading in any ways.
- You feel you can further learn from it
Important: Listening to someone’s advice does not equal to actually relying on someone’s advice. While you can listen to advice, you should never rely too much on anyone’s opinion. Remember self-esteem comes from the inside and cannot be given by others.
All in all, what the title says is not get all too reliant on anyone’s opinion on your work Trust in your instincts at all times, even when you know you have much to learn.